Firefox 131 is unusable unless Avast is disabled

Firefox 131.0.2 is unusable unless Avast free AV is disabled. Avast version is 24.9.6130, build 24.9.9452.875. Websites load very slowly or not at all. This includes Amazon and Youtube websites. I opened a bug ticket with Mozilla, but they said this is a known issue, and it only appears in Firefox when used with Avast or AVG antivirus. The LibreWolf Portable browser (a fork from Mozilla) seems to work okay, but Mozilla claims this is an Avast bug and they cannot fix Firefox to work with Avast.
Mozilla published Firefox 131.0.3 with a bug fix that prevents Firefox crashes when playing youtube videos, that they said is related to this problem, but I still cannot reliably load websites like amazon, youtube, and sourceforge dot net.

1 Like

i also gt this problem more than 1 month back. so far no reply / official response from avast. seems avast has a very poor customer service. sometimes i wonder whether i need to switch to symantec.

No issues here using Firefox 131.0.2 but im on avast premium.
are you using a stand alone vpn?

clear

603 / 5.000

Risultati della traduzione

Risultato di traduzione

Sorry for my English, but I’m using google translate. Same problem, I use chrome and firefox, if I try to load the home page (google) it doesn’t load or it’s very slow, while if I try to choose an old visited site, it will load, even if slowly and with some display errors. All this has been happening since my free version was updated to version 24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.875) every time I want to navigate I’m forced to disable web shield and everything goes back to normal. This situation is becoming really frustrating.

I use Avast Antivirus Free, Firefox as my default browser and it was on 131.0.2 and that was working on Amazon and Youtube. Note there has just been a Firefox update to 131.0.3 and I have just loaded that. I don’t know what was in that, but being a very small incremental update I wonder if a bug fix update ?

1 Like

same here… need to disable web shield

1 Like

Fixed a crash that Windows users with Avast or AVG security software were experiencing when visiting certain sites. ([Bug 1919678]

With both versions, in my case the problem does not seem to be solved.

I am using Avast Free, version 24.10.6133, build 24.10.9535.880, recently upgraded. I still have the problem even after upgrading from the prior Avast version. I have recently upgraded Firefox from 131.0.2 to 131.0.3, and the only thing fixed is the firefox crashes when playing a youtube video. I opened a bug with Mozilla, but they said they cannot fix it, and this is why:

==== begin quote ====

"Thanks for the confirmation that the crashes are fixed by 131.0.3. We believe that LibreWolf is not affected by Avast because Avast isn’t proxying connections for LibreWolf – i.e. it isn’t providing the protection it claims to provide for LibreWolf. Avast causes performance issues due to the proxying (I presume from your report). Since they don’t work much with browser vendors, it’s hard to know what they’re doing or why, or to fix what they’re doing that causes perf issues. Chrome blocks H3 proxies entirely due to previous bugs where antivirus/Avast proxied H3 and caused things to break. We may consider doing the same thing (but note it also bypasses whatever protection Avast is claiming to add)

“You could open a new bug about Performance Problems when using Avast with Firefox.”

==== end quote ====

So, I am going to try to disabling Avast Web Shield to see if that helps the symptoms. I had previously noticed that chrome-based browsers (like Brave), as well as LibreWolf didn’t have the problem.

I am seriously considering uninstalling Avast and switching to BitDefender or Windows built-in AV.

After 20 minutes of testing with Avast Web Shield DISABLED, it seems Firefox performance is restored to normal, but Avast always has a big red warning notification “You are Unprotected” and wants me to turn
Web Shield back on.

How do I open an official bug report with Avast? This is Unacceptable.

1 Like

No, I’m not using a stand-alone VPN, but I am using Avast Free.

I upgraded to version 24.10.6133 (build 24.10.9535.880) and in my case with both browsers, the problems seem to be solved.

hi, i also having similar problems with avast / firefox. it seems avast is not eager to help its customers, so I’m thinking switching to norton.

if u disable web shield, then firefox works fine.
in my opinion regarding official bug report, u can post here or through feedback in avast app

Good luck with that, Norton essentially uses much of the Avast functions, features under the skin.

Consider this a BUG report then, and this is how it looks to me.

Disabling the “Web Shield” appears to resolve this problem. Mozilla developers claim that Chrome blocks HTTP/3 proxies via AV programs to prevent this problem, and Mozilla is considering doing that too.

I wasn’t familiar with HTTP/3 and QUIC. I’m not very familiar with using proxies. I don’t know all the programming issues relating to this problem. So I cannot suggest a specific coding solution.

But the symptoms are very slow responses, long wait times loading specific web pages (Amazon, Youtube, Sourceforge), and Youtube videos halting (also video resolution downgrades) when Avast web shield is active and when using Mozilla Firefox 130 or higher. If you try the same web pages in Chrome, Brave, LibreWold browser then performance appears normal. Disabling Avast Free “Web Shield” restores normal performance in Firefox. Disabling Web Shield is a good workaround, but I might be losing some protection by not having it.

As an Avast User like yourself there isn’t much I can do about that.

However, rather than disable the Web Shield as suggested by some in this topic - I would suggest adding the troublesome domain to the Avast Exceptions so you aren’t completely unprotected whilst on-line.

Avast UI > Menu > Settings > General > Exceptions.
Avast-Exception-Add

I just checked, and an update is available. However, I’m currently running the same version and build with Firefox Nightly 133.0a1, and haven’t experienced any of that. So updating may fix it, but you could also switch to Nightly; in my opinion, Nightly is superior anyway, so there isn’t really any reason not to switch.

In order to check out issues related to Avast and Firefox, I need to remain on the Regular Firefox Update stream. Most Avast users with firefox issues are likely to be on the Regular Update stream and in some case haven’t update in some time.

That’s not stopping user71.

Installing Nightly also doesn’t prevent you from using the regular Firefox at the same time.