Make Avast default security on Win11

For the life of me I can not figure out how to set Avast as the default security so that it replaces windows 11 home defender. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Microsoft Defender should do that. When you install any 3rd party antivirus, Windows Defender should automatically disable the Windows Defender protection to avoid conflict between two antivirus products.

That said Defender also has an option to run a periodic on-demand scan, I elected not to have that happen. I am still using Windows 10 and not Windows 11 but as far as I’m aware that should be the same.

Have you tried simply installing Avast ?
If so what happened ?

Yeah, installed Avast but defender was still default. It needed a few reboots and Avast finally took over as default security… thanks!!

You’re welcome.

Thanks for confirming this eventually worked.

A belated welcome to the forums.

1 Like

First time using windows 11, seems good so far. Thanks again.

1 Like

That is my next step - my windows 10 laptop is starting to show its age.

When I bought it that was fast for its day (see spec in my signature) and expensive - I shudder to think what the next one will cost. I will be specking it to give we a good longevity hopefully as long as this one.

Same here. I went with a Dell alienware m16 r2 outlet. Same warranty as new at nearly 1/2 the price. Good specs and the only problem so far was I thought it had two expansion SSD slots, but it has only 2 SSD total. Since it came with a 2TB it was just a little time to condense the 3 SSD’s into 2. Windows 11 is basically the same as 10, so far so good.

I’m not a gamer but I too prefer two drives, I prefer to keep my OS on one and Data on the other making backing it up to external drives easier.

But for me expansion slots are also important as I have a lot of stuff hanging of my system. Many only come with limited ports. Whilst USB3/Firewire can handle multiple device but you still need an expansion connection to hang all of the stuff off, messy.

For this reason my hunt for a replacement has been long, as someone keeps inventing a new better wheel :slight_smile:

I’m not a gamer either, I’m a 60+ year old semi retired CAD guy. I still mess around with CAD and this Alienware m16 r2 fits the bill for me. There are some less than ideal details but the system is excellent for me. They have gotten more sleek, keyboard feels excellent and lights can be modified. I’m missing the NUM pad but not so much, it runs quick, cool and quiet for my needs. Ports are good, back comes off and access is easy. I didn’t want an 18" and I like the 16" screen.

Previously I got a Legion but it ran so loud, even during routine tasks, I returned it.

I don’t use CAD either, but I guess that too would require some grunt.