When will avast! 5?

I am sure his fingers slipped, and insted of Q1, he wrote H1.

H1 = first half of 2009 which is my interpretation of H1.

Ok, could be that, or first part of Hapril? :wink:

Methinks Vlk is a very capable man who knows whereof he speaks.

Comment, whine, wail to your heart’s content. It will appear at that mans’s will - not ours and I, for one, would not have it any other way.

I think he meant H1 2009 as first quarter of 2009. Though we usually mark that as Q1 2009…

If Vlk meant Q1 rather than H1 I am sure he knows the difference without anyone’s interpretation. I bet the team will do their best to make Q1 but let’s just take them at Vlk’s word and show some patience for the first half of 2009.

Of course, and I am sure no one here thinks different! But that doesn’t mean we have to stop talk about Avast 5 and speculate about it!

And I have read all post in this thread, and I don’t see anyone that whine?

And I don’t see the problems to look forward to Avast 5? Even if we all know that it is the Alwil Team that decide when to release a new version!

Thanks… could be this or, like others said, a typo.

Well that is the kind of typo I might make, but I think Vlk’s typing skills are much better than mine and Q and H are pretty far apart on the keyboard ;D.

Me I’m in no rush, I’m not going anywhere, after all I have been using avast 4.x for over 4.5 years and boy has avast changed in that time ;D

So Alwil unlike other manufacturers don’t slip to the next whole number every year as a marketing tool. Many of those changes I’m sure could have warranted a whole number increase rather than a 0.1 increment.

So version numbers are just that, numbers, when what we see in these supposedly small updates big changes in functionality/features and that is what counts, continued progress.

One day it will be called avast 5 and then we will have to change all the forum names, no more avast! 4 Home/Pro, avast! 4 Server, etc.
avast! 5 for Home/Pro just doesn’t have that quirky play on words about it ;D

very wise!
(thats not sarcastic)

H1 indeed meant “first half” (I believe this is pretty standard acronym, isn’t it?)

Feature-wise, the only thing I can promise is a totally new user interface.
And as some of you already anticipated, yes, it will be based on the same framework as the antirootkit tool.

Cheers
Vlk

Well, not for me :-[

I usually use quarters (Q1,Q2,Q3 and Q4) otherwise i just type it with words to avoid confusions hehe.
So that would be like Q1 or Q2 2009, basically :wink:

Typing whole words isn’t that cool, or is it ? :stuck_out_tongue: Moreover, speaking about H2, you can always be mistaken that you mean your new SUV, which isn’t a bad thing either.

Not here either!

:slight_smile: hi all avast 5 will come when it is ready i feel.
All i hope for is good detection fast scan and if a new interface something still with different skins?
I also would like to keep the voice system my cat jumps when the computer says “virus data base updated”
Keep up the good work

No skins in version 5 as has been said before the third party skinning software is no longer available.

Funny story… but it was Christopher Guest as the fictional Nigel Tufnel in “This is Spinal Tap” who’s responsible for the line “These go to eleven”.

Jim Marshall was Hendrix’s “amp maker” and there’s no suggestion from him that Jimi was ignorant or stupid.

Actually it was different amps… Sun or Orange I think but not sure. I suspect they borrowed that Hendrix story for the movie Spinal Tap. Maybe Jimi just thought it would be cool to have 11 on his amps - who knows. I think the story comes from the 1973 film Jimi Hendrix, but I have seen several Hendrix movies and am not certain which one it came from.

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know everything about Hendrix but I’d need more evidence before I could take this story seriously.

The only thing about numbers on amps I can recall is in Keith Shadwick’s biography, see pages 248/9, where he mentions “the Hendricks setting” - all knobs at 10, and Jim Marshall recalls that James Marshall Hendrix (yes they shared 2 names) used “standard” 100 watt Marshall amps.

Yes I know this is way off topic. :-[